The Volunteer Centre Network is made up of hundreds of local Volunteer Centres throughout England. Their primary purpose is to get more people volunteering in their local area.
What are Volunteer Centres?
The six core functions of a Volunteer Centre are to:
- Match both individuals and groups interested in volunteering with appropriate voluntary work in the local community;
- Market volunteering by stimulating and encouraging local interest in volunteering and community activity;
- Promote good practice in working with volunteers to all volunteer-involving organisations. They deliver training and accreditation for potential volunteers, volunteer managers and the volunteering infrastructure;
- Work in close partnership with statutory, voluntary and private sector agencies as well as community groups and faith groups to develop local voluntary posts. Volunteer Centres understand the potential offered by the local communities and work with them to realise this potential. Volunteer Centres will target specific groups which face barriers to volunteering. They work creatively to develop imaginative, non-formal work for potential volunteers;
- Identify proposals or legislation that may impact on volunteering. It will lead and/or participate in campaigns on issues that affect volunteers or volunteering. Volunteer Centres campaign proactively for a more volunteer-literate and volunteer-friendly climate;
- Inform strategic thinking and planning at a regional and national level.
Volunteer Bureaux (VBx)
VBx, or Volunteer Development Agencies as they're sometimes known, offer a brokerage service matching individuals and groups with appropriate voluntary work in the local community. The ones most local to the University are:
Islington Volunteer Centre (IVC) 6 - 9 Manor Gardens, London, N7 6LA, Tel: 020 7686 6800, email: email@example.com, website: www.islingtonvolunteer.org.uk
Volunteer Centre Hackney (VCH) Unit 12-13, Springfield House, 5 Tyssen Street, London, E8 2LY, Tel: 020 7241 4443, email: email: firstname.lastname@example.org, website: www.vchackney.org
Volunteer Action Tower Hamlets (VATH) Norvin House 1st Floor, 45 - 55 Commercial Street, London E1 6BD, Tel: 020 7377 0956, email: email@example.com.
For a full list of other London Bureaux, click here.